Avalanche Safety Training Level 1 Consists of day one in the classroom and day two in the field. Alpine Air Adventures in partnership with Avalanche Canada delivers AST training curriculum designed to enable people to travel in the back country safely, understanding where to obtain current information and understanding the onsite snow pack dynamics and terrain use.
If you are an avid back country user, think of this training as a 6 day course, starting with AST 1 (2 days) then progressing to the AST 2 (4 days). If booking both courses with AAA you will receive a 10% discount on both courses, up to 2 years between AST 1 & 2.
AAA is a full service guiding company, employing ACMG/IFMGAguides who are certified to work in any terrain or discipline in Canada and globally.
Field days will be held at Bow Summit or Vermilion Pass, in some cases due to conditions the field day location may change, this will be discussed in class.
- Classroom Session are on Saturdays starting at 09:00 and are held at the Inns of Banff in Banff Alberta. A detailed course package will be emailed when booking is made.
- November 24th class/25th field day
- December 1st class/2nd field day
- December 8th class/9th field day
- December 15th class/16th field day
- January 5th class/6th field day
- January 12th class/13th field day
- February 2nd class/3rd field day
- March 9th class/10th field day
- Private dates are available if you have a group of friends organized, contact Jeff to discuss details.
- Day one is an introduction to the theoretical side of snow science and terrain selection.
- Please bring any gear you may have questions about to the class room session
- Day two is spent in the field putting to use newly learnt skills
- Companion Rescue
- Snowpack analysis and weak layer recognition
- Group dynamics and management
- Risk tolerance
- Terrain use and avoidance
- Understanding changing mountain wx and the effects it has on the snowpack
- Avalanche Canada AvCan Curriculum with CAA text and The Avaluator included
- All instructors are certified by the Canadian Avalanche Association and the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides and or the IFMGA
- Maximum 8 students: 1 instructor on the field day
- We highly recommend purchasing Trip Cancellation Insurance
AAA is a full service guiding company, employing ACMG/IFMGA guides who are certified to work in any terrain or discipline.